Monday, July 17, 2006

Different Backgrounds

"How often do you masturbate?"

Is that or is that not a weird question for a roommate to ask??

I didn't even know how to respond when Lisa asked me that. I just laughed.

"But seriously, do you?"

"Well, yeah..." (awkward)

"Okay"

Okay? I waited for her to elaborate or explain, but she didn't. I was going to ask her how often SHE does. But something tells me she does and really it's not my business. Maybe she wants to know if I have a problem with it. I don't. As long as she doesn't do it while I'm in bed next to her.

Lisa explained a little about her background which shed some light on her openness with these issues. Her mother is German and her father is Dutch. They met in Amsterdam and conceived her. She lived there for the first five years of her life, until her father got a job in California. She said that they always talked openly about sex and even took showers together. Her parents apparently walked around naked. She moved out of her home when she was 16 years old.

My own background originates from Europe as well, but I never traveled out of the U.S. My Grandparents on my mother's side are from France. I don't really get along with them all that well. They're brutal and blunt (I know where my mother gets it from). My father is Irish and Italian. My grandparents immigrated over to New York in the 1930's. Neither my father nor my mother discussed sex in the household.

In fact, Once I came out of the bedroom with plaid pj shorts and a tanktop. I was heading to the bathroom. I was about 13 or 14 at the time. My mother grabbed my arm and whispered "Put on a bra under that top and cover yourself. You can't walk around the house like that!"

Very different backgrounds.

She showed me some photographs of her travels in Europe. She went to the "Love Parade" in Berlin and traveled to Rome, Paris and Prague with her family. I'm jealous.

She's only been living with me for a few days and the place is already a mess. She leaves her towels on the bathroom floor, her make up all over the counters and food in the sink. I'm not an anal clean freak or anything but it doesn't HURT to clean up after yourself just a little bit.

Whatever.

I talked with the school administrator today and I enrolled for classes. I have everything completed. I'm putting aside money for the down payment that is due by the end of this month. I haven't declared my major yet but I have time to figure all that out. It's apparently not important for the first semester.

It's official. I am going to college! It's a community college but it's a college. It's a stepping stone. If I do well the first two semesters I can apply for scholarships at better private and state universities.

I have to get ready for work. Lisa is out with her cousin. She should be back soon. We have the same shift tonight at the bar so we'll be going in together.
posted by Iris at 5:27 PM