Sunday, June 18, 2006

Rejection

He didn't write back.

He didn't call.

He didn't show up at the Deli.

I asked my co-worker if she gave Jonas the note I wrote.

"Yes", she responded.

"Did you tell him who it was from?"

"Yes"

"What did he say?"

"Nothing. He just nodded and put it in his pocket"

"Then what?"

"He ordered a bagel. What I supposed to give him a message?.... I thought you just wanted me to hand him the note?.."

"no..no..that's fine. I just..that's fine"

It's been two days.

Two days of feeling a jolt of anticipation every time the phone rang and looking up from the counter with expectation every time the door opened with a jingle at the Deli.

I'm just an idiot. I'm going to get drunk tonight with Carl. I have the night off from work. Time to get dressed. I'm not going to think about this too much. It just makes me want to bang my head into a wall repeatedly.
posted by Iris at 6:29 PM