Monday, June 26, 2006

First Date

First dates have a potential to be really weird. They can go any which way and you never know what to expect. I'm always nervous before a first date.

I don't even know if you can call it a "Date"

But it went really well with Jonas today. I met him this afternoon for coffee. I have to go to work in 15 minutes, But I needed to log on and write about it. I'm kind of giddy and happy.

Sometimes people feel like strangers and you're struggling to make conversation. That wasn't the case with Jonas. The words just flowed.

He wasn't there when I arrived and I sat alone in the front area of Starbucks with a Frappucino. I kept pushing the straw nervously up and down, tapping my feet and glancing around the room. I thought he was going to stand me up but he appeared 5 minutes late.

His blond hair was pulled back in a David Beckham style pony tale. He had on a blue shirt and slacks. When he saw me, he eased into the seat next to me and smiled. (he has the most beautiful smile!)

The first thing he said was: "Sorry I'm late"

I just smiled. God I was nervous.

"Sorry I was so short on the phone yesterday", I said "I just.."

"Don't worry about it", He said "I was thrilled when I got that note from you last week. It took me a few days to get back to you because I had to visit my father in New Jersey over that weekend for Father's day."

"oh..."

"Did you do anything for Father's day?"

"I don't really talk to my father anymore", I said "so..not really"

"Oh" He said. "So, Iris..tell me about yourself"

"I don't know where to start?", I shrugged and laughed nervously.

"Okay, I'll start by telling you about me. My name is Jonas and I'm 26 years old"

I smiled "My name is Iris and I'm 22"

He reached across the table to shake my hand and we started laughing.

He made me feel so good! He has such a warm smile and alluring eyes. He's so down to earth and real. He's an assistant art director for a local cable station. He graduated from college a few years ago. He plays guitar. He's so perfect, almost too good to be true.

He told me I was beautiful. I didn't know how to respond. I just rubbed more forehead, looked down and smiled. My face felt hot and my cheeks were burning. I don't want to screw this up. I want to take it slow and yet I already want more than just friendship.

He invited me to the beach on Saturday. I said "Yes".

It's so comfortable and normal. I'm not used to this. I let him do most of the talking and just listened. I didn't really open up about myself too much because I was afraid of scaring him away. When he realizes how messed up I am, he might go running in the opposite direction.

I look forward to going to the beach this weekend. I have to buy a new bathingsuit this week. I lost the bottom part of mine during my move and this will be my first time going to the beach this summer.

We didn't talk about past relationships or current relationships. I didn't want to ask him because it would be implying too much. I'm just going to take this day by day.

No expectations, No disappointment.

He paid for my coffee. He insisted. He's a real gentleman. I'm not used to this at all.

I'm late for work now.
posted by Iris at 7:18 PM