Saturday, January 07, 2006

A discovery

It's weird how you think you know someone and then you see them doing something that you never imagined. It just throws you off guard and you realize you didn't know that person at ALL.

Tonight, I came home early from work and I saw Michael leaning over the coffee table. His hair was spilling over his face, so I could see what he was doing. The music was blasting and he didn't even hear me come in.

"Hey.." I said entering the livingroom "HEY!"

He looked up in surprise. There was a mirror on the coffee table..and he was holding up a rolled up dollar bill.

I just thought "No..come on, you've got to be shitting me."

It just felt like those bad "Don't Do Drugs" commercials I remembered from my youth in the late 80's. It could have been in slow motion, with dramatic music. I was kind of shocked for a moment.

I didn't know that he did coke.

"What are you doing?", I asked

He just shrugged. He looked uneasy though.

"How long have you been snorting that stuff?", I asked, trying to keep my voice neutral.

"On and off, It's not a big deal", He patted the spot next to him on the sofa "Join me"

I hesitated. I was tired and I didn't feel up to drug experimentation. Plus I'm not into hard core stuff like that, I just avoid it. Drinking is one thing.. but that is another. I saw a friend spiral into an uncontrollable addiction in highschool. She was put in Rehab and was then transferred to a Mental Institution. It's not something I've had the desire to dabble in.

"No thanks", I muttered "I'm tired"

I walked past him into the bedroom. Then I sat there on the edge of the bed digesting what I just saw. It's too weird. I don't like it.. I don't know how I feel about it. I don't know. I just didn't know he was into that. I know it's not a big deal, I've never seen him doing that before so it's not like he has a problem. Otherwise I would have noticed, He's not a junkie.

I don't know. It just..

I don't know.

I don't know why I'm making such a big deal about this. I don't even know why I'm writing about it.
posted by Iris at 12:57 AM